You may have come across the title “Business Strategist”, within your small business networks, and wondered, “what exactly is a Business Strategist”?
Well, let me tell you, I am a Business Strategist after all.
A business strategist is someone skilled in planning for action and direction, who works with a business owner to create a plan to achieve specific goals over a period of time.
As a business strategist, I focus on four areas when working with you in your business:
- examine what has been done
- setting SMART goals,
- determining actions to achieve those goals,
- and identifying the resources required for you to execute your actions and achieve the set goals.
Being able to understand the value of my role as a Business Strategist, it is important for you to get a picture of what I do with my clients during our sessions. The process starts with an initial “Getting to know you” call. It helps us both determine if we are a good fit. I want you to get what you need to achieve the results you want, and I value the level of investment required – your money, resources and time.
For you to book your call, you have to complete a short form. The information you provide is what steers the conversation we have either over the phone, skype or zoom. We focus on 3 questions:
- What challenges are you currently facing in your business?
- What does your dream business look like?
- If you could accomplish one thing as a result of investing in strategy sessions, what would it be?”
Your answers to these questions help me get a better understanding of your current position, where you want to be and what you would like to focus on. During the call, I would let you know what I can do and clarify the opportunity of us working together by highlighting the things we can work on together to achieve your results.
Some of the areas I have worked with my clients on include:
- developing a social media strategy
- identifying new opportunities
- defining their target audience
- gaining clarity on where they actually are
- developing ways to reduce costs
- creating a job description for a role
- creating new products/services/programmes
With this in mind, I provide you with some direction on how we will spend our time together during and after each session. You will have homework to complete before each session to take you one step closer to your goal. I also spend time creating plans and brainstorming ideas after our calls to ensure you have what you need.
So, as you can see the role of a Business Strategist, is to help you create the ‘right’ plan, one you can follow step by step to reach your goals. With the support of a Business Strategist, you will begin to achieve the results you want over time as you implement the plan.
Sound strategy starts with having the right goal. Michael Porter
Summary of the role of a Business Strategist:
- Works with you to create your action plan to get you from where you are now to where you want to be
- Acts as a guide on what actions to take and when
- Provides support to keep you on track
- Has varied business knowledge
- Helps you develop your confidence and business awareness